Are you considering buying a house in Worcester County, MA? What should you know before purchasing and what are the average prices there? How much money will you spend on buying a house?
If you are buying a house for the first time, then you definitely need a guide to follow. It is a big step, so make sure to do everything right and to choose the best house for you. And your family too.
Buying a house in Worcester – stats
Before you start looking for a house, you should know some stats about prices, affordability, real estate market, etc. You should prepare your house before you move-in, but before you do, choose wisely and choose a home that doesn’t have too much work.
- The median price of buying a house in Worcester is $247,000 but the prices are growing every year (the average price in the US is about $242,000).
- Over the past few years, prices have gone up for 4% and they will grow in the next year for about 3.6%.
- The average age of homes is about 74 years.
- Half of the residents (50.5%) are renting, and the other half of Worcester residents are owning a house.
Tips for buying a house in Worcester
Homes in Worcester are beautiful, and some of them are older than 100 years old. It is a historical place and that is one of the reasons why so many people love living in Worcester. Buying a house is a big step, ask for advice and look for guides to help you make the right choice and to choose the best house for you in Worcester.
Mortgage and paying the house
Paying the house is one of the biggest concerns. You should start saving ASAP. If you will not pay for your house in cash (you probably won’t), then you will ask a bank for a loan.
- If you are a first-time home buyer, then you should put about 3%, but if you are not, then it is common to put 20% of the total house price.
- What are your mortgage options and how big loan you can take?
- Research programs in Worcester about buying a house there because you can get some benefits.
- Check your credit if you have it.
- Compare different mortgage rates and choose the best for your financial situation.
- You must get a preapproval letter from a bank (lender). After an examination of your finances, you will know exactly how much money you can borrow.
After you know your budget for home buying, you can start searching for the perfect one for you. Research the real estate market in Worcester and hire a local real estate agent who knows this area well. You should get along with him/her and to be open about your wishes and priorities.
- First pick the right neighborhood in Worcester, because it is a big city. Research schools if you have kids or want to have them in the future, crime rate, hospitals, etc. Drive around the neighborhood several times and you will create a better picture.
- Stick to your budget and calculate outcomes you will have after buying too. If the house has some problem you will need to renovate your house, to buy furniture, etc.
- When visiting the house, pay attention to details, such as smells inside the house, neighbors, roof, electrical and water installations. If you liked the house, visit it again but when not during the day.
If you are buying a home for the first time, then there are big chances you will make a mistake. But, if you are well informed and prepare, you don’t have anything to worry about.
- Think about “closing costs”, they can be anywhere from 2 to 5% of your loan. Some people forget to calculate it when closing the mortgage.
- After buying and moving, there will be costs too. Make sure to set aside enough money.
- Don’t buy a house just for today, think about your life in 5 or 10 years. Will you have kids, or your kids will move out, is it a good investment for a future, etc.
- Negotiate when purchasing the house, and try to get the best deal from a seller.
- Before buying, get a home inspection to examine the entire house, inside and outside.
Moving your items to a new house in Worcester, MA
After purchasing, the next question is how to move all your household items from your old house to a new one? The good thing is that it doesn’t have to be difficult.
First of all, separate items you want to move. Take measurements in your new house so you will know will your furniture fit in. Be ready to get rid of junk from your Worcester home and to say goodbye to some of the items.
After decides what should be moved and not moved, you can get the accurate costs of your move. Hire a company that can offer you a great deal and the best services. Worcester has many moving companies, so do research, for example on gruntsmoving.com. They may be your perfect company for relocation.
After buying a house – personalize it
Even if the house is ready to move in, you should give it your personal touch and decorate it. You can hire professional designers or consider a DIY redecoration after purchasing home.
Decide what style you want in your new home. A modern, minimalist, antique, etc. Create a budget like you did when buying a house and search for ideas online and in home-style magazines. There is a lot you can do, no matter the size of your home. Unpack your boxes, put your furniture, and decorate it in the end.